Monday, June 7, 2010

My First Little House Picture Books


I'd be willing to wager you or your kids grew up reading and watching the Little House on the Prairie series like I did. The My First Little House Book series is a great introduction for the littlest readers to Laura Ingalls Wilder, Ma, Pa, and her sisters Mary and Carrie. I am always looking for editions of great literature written for my preschoolers’ age levels. It's a wonderful way to get them off to a solid start of reading classics. The more they read classic literature at their level the more confident, familiar and comfortable they will be to someday take on the hardest of books.

These stories are sure to delight your little ones as much as they may have delighted you and are accompanied with beautiful full page illustrations. They are adapted from the writings of Laura Ingalls Wilder and illustrated by Renee Graef.

This particular series is a great way to peak their interest not just in literature but in history as they learn all about the pioneer way of life. There are currently 14 books in this series including Summertime in the Big Woods, Sugar Snow, Winter Days in the Big Woods, Going West, A Little House on the Prairie, A Little House Birthday, Going to Town, Prairie Day, County Fair, Dance at Grandpa's, Deer in the Woods, Winter on the Farm, Christmas in the Big Woods and A Farmer Boy Birthday.

Usborne Books also has numerous abridged versions of classic literature written for all stages of earlier readers, including picture books and I hope to highlight those series in an upcoming post.

9 comments:

  1. Hi! New follower from Meet and Greet Monday--what a great idea for a blog! I loved the Little House books as a kid and was so excited when my kids were old enough to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, following you from Monday Meet and Greet. Love your buttons... adding it to my sidebar...:-)

    http://underneathhiswrapping.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog!

    I am glad i have discovered yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids had some of these when they were little. They've read the regular series now too. Love them all!!

    Thanks for stopping by and following(although I don't see you as a follower, don't know if it's just a blogger issue or what?)
    I'm following you now too.

    heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I JUST bought the first three books in this series! I loved them as a kid and can't wait to get started reading them with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love these books as a kid! I definitely want to pass down my copies to my children one day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last summer I started reading Little House on the Prairie to my kids & they LOVE it! I am looking forward to reading more books in the series to them this summer. These picture books would be great though for my younger ones to feel involved, too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these books. We only own one of them, and now we are moving on the the chapter Little House books. These are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the idea! I'm always looking for new books for my oldest to read. And I bet she'd love those.

    ReplyDelete