Thursday, July 8, 2010

Top Five Fridays - Little Golden Books

How many of you grew up reading Little Golden Books? I bet pretty much all of you did. They have been in circulation for 65 years! You can read the history of Little Golden Books at Random House Publishing site. Little Golden Books made great books available for everyone when they hit the market selling for only 25 cents a copy. There are the classic books, religious/inspirational stories, seasonal/holiday books, Disney, Richard Scarry's Busy town books, Little Critter, popular kids characters like Thomas the Tank Engine and Barbie stories and more, whew.

I grew up reading them and now get to enjoy sharing them with my two. We've been fortunate to have been given several copies plus get to read old copies while visiting the Grandparents. They make a GREAT gift and I for one hope they publish Little Golden Books for along time.

Now, of course I have not read all the Golden Books that there are to read, but I have read dozens of them. So my top five are:





1. The Little Red Hen, by Diane Muldrow and J.P. Miller








2. The Pokey Little Puppy, by Janette Sebring Lowrey and Gustaf Tenggren







3. The Shy Little Kitten by Cathleen Schurr and Gustaf Tenggren









4. The Three Little Pigs by Golden Books (its the Disney version, I grew up listening to the songs in this book on a Disney record we had, I love to sing them to my two.)






5. The Golden Egg Book by Margaret Wise Brown





What are your favorite Golden Books?

I am really looking forward to seeing what other titles we should check out!

Magic Beans 31 Days of Giveaways!

5 comments:

  1. I love your blog and the name of it!

    I am following you back. Hope you got a chance to enter my giveaway.
    If not, check back:
    www.thechattymommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVED The Pokey Little Puppy as a child! I haven't read that in years. There was another Little Golden Book that I liked, too...something about a tugboat. I can't recall the name now, but I'd know it if I saw it!

    Thanks for stopping by! I'm already following you, too. :)

    http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be thinking of Scuffy the Tugboat and His Adventures Down the River by Gertrude Crampton and Tibor Gergely or possibly Poky and Friends Big River Rescue by Naomi Kleinberg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE Little Golden Books!! :) My girls love The Three Little Pigs.

    We have a very old, rare copy of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. It was my mom's.

    Also love Nurse Nancy, and We Help Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not read any of the ones you mentioned! We will definitly check them out. Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete