Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Classic book of the month - June 2010

There are so many classic children's picture books out there that I wanted to add to my slowly growing list of favorite books. But I'm hesitant to because I know lots of people are already very familiar with these books. So I've decided that I might try to post one classic book review a month.

This was an overwhelming task, so many to choose from and which should be first...so I decided to go with one that we currently are enjoying from our local library. It's Petunia by Robert Duvousin and was first published in 1950. I grew up reading this book and am now enjoying sharing it with my kids. Even better our library had a copy that came on cd. I highly recommend checking out books on cd from time to time. We've started getting 2-3 of them each time we go to the library.

Petunia is a silly goose that is until she discovers a book. With the book tucked under her wing she becomes prouder and prouder of what a wise goose she must be, after all she does have a book now. After offering up misguided advice and the farm yard narrowly escaping disaster Petunia learns a lesson in where true wisdom comes.

We checked this book out because I'm following my own suggestion and going through a character trait a week from the God's Little Boys/Girls books by Elizabeth George. Use this link or just scroll down a post or two. We're not following in order to the traits as they go in the book. First, because I have a boy and girl and am trying to merge the lessons from each into relatable ones and second I wanted to start with the first lesson from the book of Proverbs itself. That God's little boys and girls are wise. Petunia fits this study perfectly and has made a great supplementary read to our focus on wisdom this week.

I hope you share this classic with your little ones!

12 comments:

  1. Hello there, I am stopping by from iFellowship. What an adorable blog you have, and I loved your post. Have a lovely day :-)

    -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not familiar with "Petunia," but it looks sweet. And I totally have to get the Oliver book you wrote about below...for my little nephew Oliver. Thanks for the recommendations!

    P.S. Your blog look is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I'm following from ifellowship.

    I'd love to have you stop by my blog too.

    Joy from Edgy Inspirational Romance

    http://edgyinpsirational.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this book -- love the cover. I am too scattered to ever be systematic about my read-aloud choices, but it seems like a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a former school teacher and lover of children's books, (especially "picture" books) I will be looking forward to your reviews.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today and thirding or fifthing! Love your sense of humor--

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute!!! My girls love stories with animals as the main characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to check out that book for sure! I'm your newest follower from iFellowship.

    Blessings to you,
    Sue

    www.thehomeschoolchick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for joining in iFellowship. We at Seeds Of Faith are always so happy when you join in. www.seedsoffaithwomen.com

    Meghan
    www.thetuckerstaketennessee.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. great review, as always. i love that you are scanning kids books and saving me the job. :) i've got quite the list developed now. (and, as a side note, YAY for you with all your followers and readers! great job, michelle!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Michelle, it was nice to 'hear' from you today! I so love your blog :) It is quite lovely~! I will look up this up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I'm hopping from Ifellowship Thanks for visiting...Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Stopping by from ifellowship. I hope you are having a great week! i am now following you.

    ReplyDelete