Thursday, September 30, 2010

FALL TRADITION

Fall is here and I wanted to share one of our favorite fall activities: apple picking. If you have never gone apple picking I would highly recommend it. This has become a family tradition for the past 6 years now. It’s a seasonal activity which is a great fall marker as my preschoolers and I are talking and learning about the seasons. Not to mention all the yummy apples to eat, bake, decorate with, making applesauce and make crafts with. We seriously look forward to this all year long. I'm posting this a little late in the apple picking season, there's still a few weeks left though. I thought it would be fun to take a little break from book reviews and share something different here today.



Some of the u-pick apple orchards can be quite extensive operations, having onsite restaurants, playground, carousels, petting zoos, apple doughnuts (yum) and many other fun activities and services. You can find a u-pick farm near you at the following link: http://www.pickyourown.org/



Do plan to make a day of it, getting there as early as you can for a leisure visit, don’t stress if the kids aren’t feeling it and have to leave earlier than expected. We love to pack a picnic lunch to enjoy atthe orchard. Our kids have always been great and enjoy the ‘I picked it myself’, the fresh air and the sensory experience of the smell of apples, crisp autumn air and beautiful scenery.



Happy Picking!

7 comments:

  1. i so love fall... and oh my those apples look so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my girls are old enough that we could probably enjoy that activity for a little while...before the whining set in. ;) Love your pictures!! Thanks for linking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved going to the orchards until our own McIntosh tree started bearing hundreds of apples! (well, except for this year, and I think that's due to a hard frost after blossom time). Still, the visit to an apple orchard is so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving a comment on my space play set. We love going apple picking too? Does that happen to be the Paulus orchard in PA? That's where we went & it looks exactly the same, but then again I guess all apple orchards look pretty similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did this when we were growing up...so long ago..LOL Its one of my favorite Fall activities. I am going to have to see if there is a u-pick orchard close to where we live now. Thanks for sharing this special family Fall activity. Mmmmm thinking about all of the yummies you are getting ready to bake! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We lived near a town with an apple festival growing up. I LOVE homemade apple butter. I had forgotten about all that. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know that the annual apple picking trip is a highly anticipated event in our household! Great post!

    ReplyDelete