Monday, September 27, 2010

Spotlight on the Author - Richard Scarry

One of my favorite childhood authors was Richard Scarry and I am thrilled to be able to share these books with my two. My oldest in particular has taken too Richard Scarry books and being that we are celebrating his Birthday this week, I thought I'd share some posts of his favorite reads. I couldn't just pick one book to feature there are just too many to choose from. I think even a top five Friday would be a difficult task. So I decided to just highlight some of the books we actually have in our collection. My sweet big Sister remembers how much I loved these books when we were little and she has bought several for us to enjoy!

Richard Scarry began his career in Children's books in 1949 with Little Golden Books. He penned and illustrated over 300 books but probably best known for his Busytown Series home to Huckle Cat and Lowly Worm. Have you seen the Busytown Mysteries series on CBS Saturday mornings? It's really great too! The cartoon illustrations are well, um, busy, packed with all kinds of detail on every page. Personified animals of every size fill the pages often the books have a find the 'gold bug' on them for added fun. Many books have the map of busytown in the front or back of the book too. I think that was one of my favorite pages to study when I was little.

Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever or similar collections of stories are a great way to go.

There are fun board books for the youngest of readers, like this title Cars and Trucks from A to Z where all kinds of zany cars and trucks can be found like Lowly's apple car.


Individual storybooks can also be found like A Day at the Airport.

Or smaller storybook collections like this Please and Thank You Book.

As you can see Richard Scarry's books cover a wide arrange of topics, filled with delightful, well mannered (for the most part) animal characters. There's lots to learn and a good dose of silly fun to have!


8 comments:

  1. The Best Storybook ever was one of my absolute favorites as a child. I still have it and read it to my munchkins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved the storybook one too when I was growing up. My aunt gave me her copy. I need to use some Borders coupons to pick up some more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Richard Scarry. Truly classics right there! :)

    Following you now from Tuesday tag-Along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Richard Scarry! Great classics for sure! I am following you back! Thanks so much for the follow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kidders & I love Richard Scarry, too! :) Following from TTA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really love the "old" Richard Scarry - some of these are out of print and we've had to find over ebay or similar sources. I'm not a fan of the Nickelodeon Scarry series - why change something that was so good? Our favorite out of prints are Busy, Busy World and Best Storybook Ever (from 1968). Great classics! In this case at least, we think old is better!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Richard Scarry! It’s hard not to when I have so many wonderful memories of reading Richard Scarry books to my children. Of course, Cars and Trucks and Things that Go was one of my son’s (who was obsessed with every type of vehicle) very favorite books. As an adult, that was one of the first books he named as a favorite from his childhood.

    http://LivingMontessoriNow.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I left a great long comment on this post last week, but for some reason it didn't go through
    :-(
    In a nutshell, we love Richard Scarry books, too & I loved them as a child, as well! We have the Biggest Picture Dictionary Ever & Jack loves to just sit & literally read the dictionary! I've always been such a huge fan of his simple, silly illustrations! Great spotlight!

    ReplyDelete