Thursday, September 2, 2010

Top Five Fridays - Beatrix Potter


Well as my favorite season, Fall is approaching, I thought I'd share a top five of one of my favorite childhood authors, Beatrix Potter. Pictured above is the book: Beatrix Potter: The Complete Tales. I can't remember my age but I do remember saving up to buy this book! Charming tales of animals, accompanied by equally charming watercolors are Potter's signature. There are even DVDs out now of these enchanting tales.

I would recommend age 5 and older for the original version for most of these classic tales as they are longer with a slower moving in plot. My oldest is just now able to sit through almost all these tales. The Tale of Peter Rabbit, The Story of Miss Moppet and The Tale of Tom Kitten are shorter and good to start with. There are many picture books that have been adapted from these classic tales for younger kids to enjoy as well. There are also the Appley Dapply's Nursery Rhymes and Cecily Parsley's Nursery Rhymes, also written and illustrated by Beatrix Potter, that are fun to read/recite to the youngest of children. I would highly recommend introducing your children to these characters early. While we have the complete tales in one book, I still like getting the smaller scale books from the library. They are just the right size for little hands!

To explore more of the world of Beatrix Potter, check out this link. Here are the top five tales I read over and over again as a child:







1. The Tale of Peter Rabbit














2. The Tailor of Gloucester












3. The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle














4. The Tale of Tom Kitten














5. The Tale of Two Bad Mice







What are your favorite Beatrix Potter stories?



And have a wonderful Holiday weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Visiting from the Blog Hops! I love your site. I can't wait to get to know you better. Stop by when you get the chance. I have a Meet Me Monday blog hop and I would love if you could join in. It lasts all week long. Hope to see you then!

    http://www.inspiringyou2save.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is my ULTIMATE favorite!!! LOVE BP! My faves were always Squirrel Nutkin and Two Bad Mice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking me down memory lane, Michelle! Beatrix Potter is an author I remember clearly from MY childhood! I only knew The Tale of Peter Rabbit as a child, but I always loved the story. That was probably always the favorite with my own children, but I enjoyed sharing a number of the books with them. Now that my daughter lives in England, Beatrix Potter is even more relevant.

    http://LivingMontessoriNow.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Beatrix Potter (and also the movie 'A Tale of Beatrix Potter' and 'Miss Potter') and have the complete works of Beatrix Potter, all the little individual books. My kids, and I suspect every kid, loved the tiny books and their great stories. They even have wonderful words like 'soporific' in them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness this brings back so many childhood memories. I love Beatrix Potter and the movie with Renee Zellweger about the life of Beatrix was so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the art of Beatrix Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love original Beatrix Potter - such creative writing that is beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am following you now thanks to Wednesday Blog Hop! It would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
    And don't forget today is your last chance to sign up for our amazing giveaway: two custom blog banners! Also for more easy HTML tutorials, or help increasing your blog's traffic, you know where to come!
    Plus today we talk about other amazing blog tips so make sure you don't miss any of it! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm GFC following from buzz on by thurs
    www.mamalovesherbargains.com

    ReplyDelete