Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Money and Marriage



Money and Marriage: A complete Guide for Engaged and Newly Married Couples by Matt Bell caught my eye as my Husband and I while not newly married often have a hard time communicating and being on the same page when it comes to budgeting. Plus it's a Christian perspective on money management so I was excited to have scripture to back up our financial planning and decisions. I would say while this book would make a great engagement gift, wedding or 1st anniversary gift, I would also recommend this book for any couple that struggles over finances and budgeting in their marriage no matter how long they have been married.

The book did not disappoint me. It is filled with scripture as well as sound financial advice and budgeting practices. It starts with a section called 'Decoding Each Other's Financial DNA' which is exactly what my Husband and I needed to help us understand each others perspectives and where we are coming from. Part two goes into action plans that covers such topics as budgeting, how to avoid debt, and giving. All which are built around what God's word says. The last section shares on how as a couple you can foster financial oneness with one another covering topics like prenups and deciding whether you should have shared or separate bank accounts. There are also recommended monthly spending guidelines based on salary, recommended housing guidelines and budgeting examples. This book will definitely help couples begin the discussion of finances, start with a strong financial plan/foundation for their marriage and helps also to share many of the items that get overlooked and therefor not planned for. It's a good flowing read too, I read through it with interest and ease. I'm not typically interested in financial topics so it was a great read for me to go through as it engaged me on a personal level. I appreciated the blend of finances, scripture but also the personal aspects that go into two people coming together to create a family like minded in the area of money.

I received a copy for review from NavPress Publishers Blogger Review Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment