Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dishing It-

Joining in today to my 2nd ever Dishing it with Amanda over at Serenity Now - A Mommy's Solution to Staying Sane. It's titled 'Summer Reading List' so how could I NOT join in. Head on over and join in the fun too. I know I'm always looking for great reads and seasonal reads, even better!

Photobucket


Top 5 picks for summer reading.

Okay this one is so hard to answer, there's just too many to pick from. If you've visited my blog before or had a chance to look around you will see that I often highlight children's picture books. I'm adding a new summer read here and there as I go along the way. I'd love to highlight 5 fun summer reads here but are not necessarily my 'top 5' just 5 we definitely enjoy and would make our summer reading list-





- Mama is it Summer Yet? By Nikki McClure







-It's Summer! By Linda Glaser





- Wave, By Suzy Lee






- Rita and Whatsit at the Beach, By Jean-Philippe Arrou-Vignod, Illustrated by Olivier Tallec







-In the Pond, By Anna Milbourne (It's an Usborne book, call me:-))






What genre of literature makes you want to pick up a book and read?
I love fiction, juvenile fiction/chapter books, Christian fiction and Christian non-fiction

What are your favorite magazines?

We currently get Parents, Architectural Record and when we bought some furniture for our house we got Architectural Digest to enjoy for a year. When our Parents subscription runs out (in 20 years) I'm hoping to switch to either Family Circle or Family Fun.

The kid’s magazines include: High Five, National Geographics for Kids and Clubhouse Jr.

If you had to be stuck on a desert island with any fictional character, who would you pick?

Phineas and Ferb, they can build just about anything you could ever need.

How do make time to escape into a good book?


I love reading in bed at night or outside once I get the kids started in an activity. I love cool breezy days and a good book! Used to love reading at Coffee shops, sigh....

What's your favorite place to get books?

The library!!! It's they only way I can support my addiction-

What's next on your "to-read" list?

I'm actually in a current read right now and would rather share that. I'm reading Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens by Barbara Pleasant.

We live in a fairly new development with horrible soil so we planted a small 4x4 garden last year with pretty good results and two raised 6x8 gardens this year with mixed results. We're trying some tricky crops, plus the HEAT plus the soil, so it has not gone as well but okay. We hope to add a third raised bed next summer and I also want to switch to all organic gardening, try even more tricky crops and do seasonal planting so I grabbed Pleasant's book and have been enjoying it so far.


20 comments:

  1. You just made me remember how much I miss reading picture books with my son. He's now 12, so those days are behind us. Last night I mentioned "Click Clack Moo" and he didn't even remember it! :(

    The gardening book sounds like a good one. Our garden situation is similar (I think the builder stripped off the topsoil to sell it), and we're planting in a raised bed garden. I just added the book to my Amazon wish list; thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!! Stopping by from Allied Moms! Love your blog! I love reading, and I am looking forward to reading more of your blog! I am a new follower =) have a fabulous Wednesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On your list, I would go for 'The Pond,' most of all. It was always fun to walk with the kids to a little neighborhood pond and see what all lives and grows there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two raised beds and instead of the clay soil that is in the ground I purchased 2 yards of mushroom soil. Cheap and organic. I love it and so do my plants. It smells bad but it is full of nutrients that plants love.

    best of luck on your garden this year and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's hilarious that you mentioned Phineas and Ferb! My 4 yo loves that show...I love Children's books too, I'll have to keep track of your picks here...my girlies loove to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have liked Children's Lit ever since I took it in college. I've never read any of these. Sadly, my youngest son only wants to read Thomas the Train books and my daughter is really into Fancy Nancy so that's my range right now. I'll keep those in mind though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh- Wave looks like a lovely book. Thanks for sharing your picks. :) Your gardening book sounds great too...so many people are getting into gardening these days, myself included. ;)

    Thanks so much for joining the party. Hope you have fun "mingling." :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we will look to see if our library has those books. They look great! We are definitely a reading family! Stopping by from iFellowship!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may have to take your recommendations for my son. He is only 3 1/2, but LOVES to read...well to be read to. We have so many books for heim that I need to build him a bigger bookshelf!! Hope you have some luck with your garden. I have always wanted to try planting one, but just never gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! Thank you so much for following! I'm following you too ;o) Looking forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that Phineas and Ferb make science and physics so cool. Some of my favorite chapter books are the Magic Tree House, My Weird School, and Stink. Soon you'll be reading those looong chapter books like Percy Jackson!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your book list looks like so much fun! And good luck with your garden! I wish I had put in a garden when we built our house, but I was in such a big rush to be done building that as soon as the sidewalks, grass and sprinkler system was in I was done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun looking books :) We have a veggie garden and it's going crazy, unfortunately my hubby has lost interest so it's not much fun right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping in from iFellowship! What a great looking blog! Now I'm leaving wanting every book you've listed here!

    I would love for you to come visit me @ Living Above Ministries!

    www.pennyfranklin-livingaboveministries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great picks! I'll definitely have to remember those for my niece once she's older! My parents have 2 raised garden beds in our yard and I have a small flower garden but with the South Texas heat here only my zinnias are surviving... Good luck in all your gardening endeavors!



    P.S.
    Nice choice on picking Phineas and Ferb! That seriously did make me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those children books look great-we'll be lookiing for them next time we go to the library! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phineas and Ferb! That's funny... and true. :) ♥ Michelle

    Happy iFellowship Day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by my Reading list party post! I love children's books! Those look so sweet! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stopping by from the "Dishing It" party. I always like finding other Christians in blogland so will add you my blogroll. I just recently started our book blog on blogspot.

    http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2010/07/dishing-it-party-summer-reads.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. COOL! Thanks for the book recommendations. My boys LOVE books!! Can't wait to look some of these up. :-)
    -The Lean Green Mommy Machine

    ReplyDelete