Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Reading - Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach

Summer = beach, no? Well, I'm actually not much of a beach person (I may share some of the beach anxiety of Scaredy Squirrel), but I'm outnumbered in my family and this is getting off topic a bit so back to books...My next pick for a great summer read and a seriously silly read is, Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach by Melanie Watt.


Have you met Scaredy Squirrel? This is actually one of four books featuring this quirky squirrel by Melanie Watt. They are all hilarious but since it is summer I thought I'd feature the beach book. Well as you may know Scaredy Squirrel has got some 'issues'. He's pretty much scared of everything and typically chooses to enjoy life from the safety of his tree. But even Scaredy Squirrel needs a vacation, right? Well he's got the perfect solution for that. Instead of going to the beach where he may get caught in the middle of the wrong crowd, like a mob of lobsters or packs of pirates, Scaredy decides to bring the beach to him. He's got pretty much all he needs right on hand except for one thing. The only way to get what he needs means a trip to the, deep breath, actual beach. Do not worry though, Scaredy knows how to pack and accessorize for such a trip.

My two love Scaredy Squirrel and his antics. Its all giggles when we read about him and its nice too know that everyone gets scared some times, some more than others, but we all do. Melanie Watt's illustrations are simple and witty. They add to the story with little fun details as all good picture books should.

Other titles in this series by Melanie Watt include: Scaredy Squirrel, Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend, and Scaredy Squirrel at Night. Check out these books for some seriously silly fun!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really cute! I'll have to look for it at the library as my son is a pool scardy squirrel. Thanks!

    xo Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book sounds so adorable! My youngest would love it, but she loves anything that is super silly. I found your love blog through iFellowship blog hop. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I just found you through Amanda at Serenity Now and I'm thrilled to see you are an avid reader as I am. I love all types of books especially children's books. I will need to go back through your posts and see what books you've reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your book reviews! Sounds like a great book! My children would have loved it when they were young. I’ll have to remember it when I have grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Friend Friday follower. Scaredy Squirrel! Cant believe I havent run into it yet. Next time I go to borders, its on my list! Thanks

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete